We found ourselves once again heading to the Urgent Care. At dinner, I gave Jake some peas, avocado and grapes (all things he's tried before). As with anything I've been giving him, he'll kind of put it in his mouth and then spit it out. He almost never swallows it. So we were sitting there and his face started turning red and he was itching. I could see some hives developing.
Being such routine, the kids ran to the car and we all flew down the street to the Urgent Care. One of the good things about being on base is being less than a mile from there! And with our situation, it's becoming such a convenience.
Arriving on scene at the U.C., I walked in and told them that he's had an anaphylactic reaction before, his face was itchy and red and I kind of wanted to be there to wait it out, just in case. They were all so sweet to us and accomodating. Within 10 minutes, they brought us back to check him out. And for the first time ever we actually had a decent ER doc! He was very helpful and looked him over. They all kind of monitored him a little and then sent us home with some oral steroids.
Now we are home and getting to bed. We are feeling frustrated with the whole allergy issue as we can't get him to eat anything and we've waited two weeks for the ped.'s office on base to set us up with a referral to a nutritionist so we can get this figured out. They weighed Jake and he was 21 lbs. 7 oz. He's almost a year old. At his six month checkup, he weighed 21 lbs. 8 oz. so he's not gaining weight. Normally our kids gain a lot the first six months and then end up at about 24 lbs. at the end of the first year. So I'm concerned a little that he hasn't gained anything in six months but that he's lost an ounce. Hopefully soon we'll get him in to a nutritionist so we can map out a plan for him. Meanwhile, please keep us in your prayers.
No comments:
Post a Comment